View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #55
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if this is another Kindle and the software on this new Kindle is not good enough, then I do hope it tanks. If it is a larger screen, then it needs ePub and PDF support for ADE. If it doesn't have this, then wait for someone's larger screen device that does.
The software on the Kindle is more than "good enough", it is using a model of ebooks that not everyone is happy with but it has a very good implementation of that model.

I agree, though, that at a minimum Amazon needs to add native PDF support for a functional large screen device. This would be easier without DRM, and I don't see them embracing Adobe ADEPT, but I assume they will have DRM for PDFs. Full device search is one example of something that the Kindle does well, and no one else (short of a laptop) does at all. This is actually even more important for a student device. I assume they will have (MOBI) dictionary lookup for PDF, since iRex already has this on the DR1000. It would be nice if they allowed more than one primary dictionary, but I'm not holding my breath. Amazon is probably going to surprise us with one of more feature we did not think of. They are better at ebook devices than almost everyone.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote