View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #10
digital_carver
digital_carver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Funny, I always thought the identifiers would be merged by themselves. It does seem the logical way to do things.

And doing a metadata download right now, and scrutinizing the value of the metadata before and after, shows me I am right -- the mobi-asin is preserved.
I too tried it out now, and it does seem to already do what I suggested: overwrite similar identifiers, merge dissimilar ones. Neat. (I don't know if this was true of the ancient version I was using during the previous download, but it works in my current 2.37.1 Calibre.)

In fact, merging seems to happen with Tags too, which (afaik) seems undocumented. The existing tags remain, and the new tags get added additionally. For eg., with "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin", this was the tags metadata before download:

Quote:
Franklin, Statesmen -- United States -- Biography, Politics
This was the tags shown in the left side during "Review downloaded metadata":

Quote:
History, Biography, Classics, Politics, Non-Fiction
And this is the final tags list after pressing Ok on that dialog:

Quote:
Classics, non-fiction, Biography, Politics, Franklin, Statesmen -- United States -- Biography, History
As you can see, it's a merge rather than an overwrite.

The Configure Metadata Download dialog has only an "Append comments" option related to this, nothing about tags or identifiers, so it's not really obvious what all is going on in what field during the update.
digital_carver is offline   Reply With Quote