View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
silverspear
Connoisseur
silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverspear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
Sure enough, that's really lame. The US model covers Japan, but the Japan model doesn't even make the hop to Korea...

But wait, can the US PW handle Japanese now? Amazon's page says:
So you can run it in Japanese, and display Japanese content? This sounds just like my PW-J, except I'm lacking Traditional Chinese. When did this support for Japanese happen? Was it like that from the start, or was it included in an update? Does that include vertical, and right-to-left text? If so, I'm not really seeing much hardware advantage in buying it in Japan.

Of course access to the Japanese store is admittedly kinda useful...

The 5.3.0 update (that's what my PW-J is running out of the box) says it includes for example the Simplified Chinese support that I'm seeing here, so is the hardware otherwise the same, except for the sucky 3G in Japan? I'm beginning to think that it might be more advantageous to buy it cheaper from the US and see about registering it with the Japanese store. Not sure you can do that though.
From what I think, I suspect that amazon indeed has differentiated PW-J and PW-I (international), either through firmware, or by physical hardware like mac address or something. If someone can confirm if amazon does provide different download links/versions for PW-J and PW-I, then we will know if it's by which method.

differentiation is the only way that they can get the PW3G-J to only get 3G access in Japan and not worldwide.

I also note that the amazon jp page mentions that PW-J comes with 2 Jap fonts. Maybe the PW-I only has 1 Jap font?
silverspear is offline   Reply With Quote