View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #291
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Well I just bought a Surface a week ago so I'll add my quick two cents.

In summary, it has certainly been a love/hate relationship so far. I love the power and capability of Windows RT. I hate the bugs and unfinished feel of Windows RT. The hardware is beautifully designed but specs are underwhelming.

The USB port is great. Printers, mice, keyboards, my phone, etc plug right in and work immediately. The file system is familiar like Windows 7. For the most part, things work like you'd expect on a Windows PC. No extra apps or special adapters necessary. There is a lot more power and potential here than in iOS or Android.

The upgrades that immediately installed were ridiculous. I upgraded my phone to a whole new version of OS (Android ICS) in about 15 minutes. Surface took an hour to update with minor fixes. Ugh, that is so typical for Microsoft and really made a bad first impression. But at least they are supporting it well, unlike my phone.

Overall, although it's growing on me I'm still not sold on Windows 8. I only stick with it because that's where PCs are going whether I like it or not so I figure I should get used to it. I don't like the closed ecosystem (although that is now bypassed easily enough). I knew app selection wouldn't be great but the cost compared to Android surprised me. The rear camera stinks which at this price is inexcusable regardless of need. But at least it's there.

The profiles are nice, I have my account and 2 others on it now. It's kind of wonky though in that you have to install apps on each account rather than sharing. Which is good in a way, my kids can't access apps I install on my profile unless I enter my Microsoft credentials. But it's just not what I expected and it can be pretty inconvenient to install the same apps on multiple profiles. There should be an option to install on all profiles. If there is I haven't found it.

The kickstand is something every tablet should have. It's so simple, yet it completely transforms how and where I use it. I think the angle should sit back more though, it's too upright for my taste. I'm still waiting for my type keyboard to be delivered. I don't think it's necessary as some people claim but I think it will really add convenience and capability. It's overpriced for sure but still another great idea.

The Nook app stinks. You open it up to what looks like a pile of your books that you then need to try to pick out what you want. Flat out stupid, but that's not Microsoft's fault of course. Or is it, now that they own a piece of B&N? Anyway, since this is Moble Read Forum I figured I should mention it.

I went back and forth between this and an Asus Transformer Infinity. I've been in Apple's world before and have no desire to go back. What it came down to was the abililty to get more PC-type things done on the Surface and Asus's questionable quality control and support. I'm still not sure I made the right decision, but I'll give it a couple weeks. I'm pretty certain that it will do what I need it to do, if not everything I would like it to do. That will hopefully get better as more apps are made and the bugs are ironed out.

That wasn't as quick as I intended I guess so I'll quit now until I have some more experience with it.

Last edited by pl001; 01-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote