View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... However, there were two serious flaws not related to the translation and the setting. Most seriously, I don't think the character of Anna was entirely successful. We are told she's wonderful, magnetic, and so on, but we don't see that. As the story progresses and she becomes neurotic and nasty, it's hard to keep in mind the supposedly transcendent personality that Tolstoy intended to evoke. And while Levin's agricultural witterings might have been more compelling if I had known more about the economic situation, ending the story with his religious epiphany and not with Anna's swan dive was a ridiculous exercise in conceit by the author regarding his Marty Stu.

I agree.

Seems like it could have used a good editor. Some parts dragged for me (Levin's agriculture part, the politics part, why the part about Kitty on vacation), and it did seem to end abruptly.

I did like the character development and the different views of the characters.

Some of the history was interesting; for example, that people were fiscally irresponsible, just like today.

An enjoyable read, but I don't think I'll re-read it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote