View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
This is the main thing I wanted to ask about -- what things did you have in mind that you do with your Reader that the rest of us have commented can't be done? We're always looking to learn to do new things with our toys!
There are many differences in the PRS-500 and the PRS-505. Anyone commenting on one or the other should state which one they are commenting on.
I heartily agree -- there's a lot of confusion arising from that.

Quote:
I'm also going to get a Sony MSPD to try along side the SD card, as I doubt the reports that it can only access one at a time.
Those reports are mistaken (I've missed them or I'd've commented on them directly -- I can't read every single post anymore, the boards are just too active -- a good problem to have ). On the 505 you can use both at the same time. They specifically touched on that during the conference call. You can use a 2 GB SD card and an 8GB memory stick at the same time, giving you 10 GB total on memory cards. I wouldn't want to wade through all those entries, myself.

Quote:
Finally, my el-cheapo generic 2GB SD card works 90% of the time, but sometimes I have to suspend and resume my PRS-505 to get it to recognize.
Some of the lesser known card brands will do that sort of thing (sometimes much worse misbehavior), we ran into it on the 500, and (obviously) it's showed up again on the 505. The consensus suspicion seems to be that the problem cards aren't really fully complying with the standard, but nobody's really confirmed that, so far as I know.

Quote:
I've tried several USB-A to USB-Mini-B cables, some alow data transfer and charging, some don't allow either. You seem to need all the wires, unlike some cheapo (or roll-up) cables.
Yeah, that showed up on the 500 as well, I think you're correct about it needing the full set of wires.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You can check the forum Wiki page for specific sizing information for PDFs as well as info on other formats. That entry is nominally for the 500, but it's identical for the 505 as far as display dimensions go, so it should get you started.
Thanks for pointing out the wiki. I'm new, and obviously clueless since I didn't know it was there.
Heh, don't let it bother you, most folks don't know it's there -- we've been working on integrating it better with the forum proper to address that, but so far it's been slow going: too many other things push to the front.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Libprs500 can also create collections (which are pretty useful for things like keeping track of the books in a series), so you can use this feature without Sony's software.
I can not do that on my PRS-505. I hit "5" for "Collections" and get a page of blank underlines. Am I missing something?
You have to use the computer-side software to make Collections ... I think you said you haven't installed the Sony app yet, but you can also use libprs500 to make them (a forum search will turn it up for you). A lot of people prefer libprs500, but I'm unsure of its status with regard to working with the 505. It works quite well for the 500 by all accounts, but I'm not entirely sure it's been adjusted to support the 505 yet.

Collections have a couple of quirks though. They're not really a set of books, per se. The titles show up in a Collection, but the book itself is still in the main "Books" list -- the Collection is really just a set of pointers. You can move the order around inside the collection so if you want publication order in a series instead of alpha by title, it'll let you do that. But if you delete a book in a Collection, it just removes the pointer, not the file, you have to go back to the main "Books" listing to do that.

This is all through the Sony PC-side software, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote