View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #315
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there is another important reason for an SD card: getting your data off of the device when it inevitably fails. Data saved to onboard memory cannot be retrieved. Data on an SD card can be retrieved. Of course, you can use network backups to get around that. But network backups won't be as up to date as the actual saved data for most of us.
And that is the most important reason to have a (micro)SD slot, regardless of whether or not you actually *need* the extra storage space - and the big reason why it's mainly those with their own clouds to sell space on that haven't put them in.

So glad my Kobo Touch has a microSD slot - so nice to not have to redownload my books every time I have to factory reset (haven't had to do it for several months now, and only once since I got a microSD, but 3-4 times before that. I also sideload my Kobo-bought books through calibre - thanks, Alf! :P - so nothing is on the internal storage other than system files.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote