View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #82
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
Their software would have to be reprogrammed to recognize the situation of a person who has used the 3G web browsing enough so that 50MB of data transfer had been logged. It's apparently just stuck in a binary Yes/No on whether you get any 3G at all. What you expected is logical but this 50MB rule is pretty new and all they've applied so far is a closed gate.
As I was explaining to Harry, my Kindle was showing as being connected to 3G (4 or 5 bars in strength) but when I tried to connect to the Kindle Store, I got the previously-mentioned notification telling me I'd hit my limit and that I'd have to go connect via wi-fi if I wanted to visit that webpage.

Harry thinks it might be due to a hiccup in my local 3G connectivity, and he could be right. I'll readily admit that my assumption it was to do with Amazon Kindle locking things down too far could have been premature.

Anyhow I'm a sample of 1, here... not enough to extrapolate from, I think!

On another note, I've been wondering if the 50MB cap is being introduced in the foreign market as something of a trial run, to test the waters and see how much public reaction/pushback Amazon Kindle are likely to get if they introduce it domestically.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote