Thread: Glo 2.4.0 bugs
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #84
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Strictly speaking the emphasis tag is not required to use italics. One program I used rendered text within the <em></em> tags as white text on a black background. If the author wants to use italics, either the <i> tag or a <span class="xxxx"> where xxxx is a class defining italics should be used.

Oddly, on my Glo with either of the 2.4.0 firmwares, the <em> tag does render as italic except for the gorched fonts such as Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel which show bold instead of italic even when using the <i> tag.
Those fonts have been crap for quite a while and you can find quite a few discussions about that issue scattered around the Kobo forum.

Is there a chance that you were using one of those fonts?
The problem also occurs if you use <i> or a class with font-style: italic. I don't think it is acceptable to just blame the fonts as crap. My favourite font is Charis SIL (because it has a very wide range of glyphs), and I certainly don't consider it a "crap" font, but it also suffers from this bug. By changing the font naming you can workaround the bug.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote