View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Using a word processor, then exporting (or using a plugin), and then tweaking the resulting code just isn't my cup of tea.
Of course, your choice for your book is the best. Thank you for commenting it, most don't do it.

I will just comment, if I may, in a general way because I also had the opportunity to produce some books and like you, I do not like to tweak the resulting code and I limit it to the utmost.

My point is that, with a reasonably complex book, you can now make an EPUB without tweaking the resulting code.

What's a reasonably complex book ? One including any text using styles, lots of notes, tables, ordered lists, TOCs, meta-data, images of nearly any kind, including floating images, adding custom style sheets, embedding fonts and more. You just have to use LibreOffice with the standard odt format. I sincerely says it covers 99% of ebook production needs though I did not do any statistical study of any kind. My feeling.

This can be produced within LibreOffice and exported straightaway as an EPUB within LibreOffice using its extension writer2xhtml. It's very comfortable indeed.

Why are people using code editors then? This is a puzzling question.
I would say there are always exceptions to any rule *, that not everybody produces text in odt format and that diversity is the salt of mankind.

* For the time being, for example drop-caps are one of them, but that may change soon.

PS: Here is an example where I made use of another feature, automatic style-mapping of style attributes.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Lorem Ipsum.epub (74.0 KB, 408 views)

Last edited by roger64; 07-10-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: example
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote