View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajreed View Post
user, I am out of luck as far as using Sony's e-reader software. It won't install under Wine, it won't work in WinXP (as a virtual machine).

So how can I buy books from Sony? I had been planning on buying a Sony reading devise, perhaps the pocket reader-300. Don't know what to do now. Perhaps another device.

I'm using Ubuntu and Virtual box.
If what you want is available as Epub, you have options.

Under Linux (Ubuntu and Puppy) and Windows as well, I use an open source ebook viewer called FBReader. FBReader handles Epub and MobiPocket formats, among others. It also handles documents converted for the Plucker offline HTML viewer for PalmOS, which is a win for me as I have a Palm OS device running Plucker and about 3,600 volumes converted for it.

It's not quite as polished as dedicated readers intended for those formats, but does a serviceable job. It doesn't handle DRM, so you'll need DRM free content, but it's a handy application to have around.

See http://www.fbreader.org
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote