View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
OpenInkPot won't work on the PocketPro.

If all you get is a progress bar from the firmware upgrade, it has not worked.

I am not optimistic that anything will help, but what I would do is:

a) Download a new copy of the firmware to your PC.
b) Use a SD/SDHC card reader to recopy the new .bin file to the root of the SD/SDHC card.
c) Plug in the USB charger.
d) Insert the SD or SDHC card into the Pocket Pro.
e) Update the firmware, with the USB charger still plugged in.

If the installation works, the device should reboot and get past the EZ Reader login screen. At this point you can try reconnecting to your PC via USB and if this works you should be able to reformat the internal memory (if necessary).

What I think is happening is that corrupted .bin files are being used for the update. The bad .bin files may be due to the other issues reported on the USB connection, so one safety measure would be to always use a stand-alone SD card reader to copy over the .bin file (as above). A "robust" firmware update process should be able to recover from a failed update, by updating again with a good firmware file. I don't recall seeing this many problems reported with the Hanlin V3 firmware update process, and I think this is because the V3 update is relatively robust.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote