View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #85
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
This is my overriding point: So many of us are taking knee-jerk reactions to the mere phrase DRM... running around in a panic, screaming "Big Brother!" and assuming every ice cube is an iceberg. But over-reacting isn't helping to solve the problem, it's merely clouding the issue.

There are perfectly workable ways to apply security to sales, as other industries have already demonstrated to one extent or another, and as some in our industry are experimenting with now. We should be listening, thinking and trying, not simply nuking everything that has those three horrible letters in it.
Paranoia is an aspect of life in the technological world. Do you own a razr cell? If you're involved in illegal activities, Big Bro might have decided to turn its mike on surreptiously to record your conversations. A few mobsters were just put away using evidence gathered in this fashion. Scary thing is, this misuse of technology can be used against Patriots as well as Criminals- all up to your good old trustworthy government....

Seriously, DRM sucks- because it limits the utility of your purchase. Twenty years after I purchased a hardback book, I can open it up and read it. Ten years after purchasing DRMd "content," I have lost the keys to unlock it, so I have lost value.

How about a law regulating DRM? For each product purchased with DRM, the seller must put a certain percentage of the selling price into an interest-paying escrow account. After 25 years, the seller gets the money back- unless, of course, the DRM is blocking the consumer from retrieving the content.....In which case the buyer receives the proceeds.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote