View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4672 View Post
I'm running Windows 7... the 64 bit version. I can't get it to install. When I attempt to install the program I get the following error message:

There is a problem with the Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
Thank you, Mike, for giving me an accurate report. "A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected" is the key part of the message, although many people report it as "I got a message saying 'There is a problem with the Windows installer package.'" that doesn't help much... Anyway, as the message implies, my installer trys to run a program behind the scenes during the installation.

First thought popped up in my mind is antivirus software. Blossom kindly reported that her Avira antivirus considered my installer contained Trojan virus. I guess it mistook a program run during the installation as a virus. One possibility is that your antivirus considered same, and blocked execution of the suspicious program without explicitl warning messages.

I think I should not ask you to try installing with your antivirus turned off. (I rather advise you never obey such a request made by a person you don't know well...) So, just forget about it, at least for the moment.

Another possibility is the folder you downloaded the .msi file into. As you know, Windows 7 is more strict on security policies than its predecessors. I don't know all the details of Windows 7 security policies, but I know some (frequently abused) folders are restricted to run .exe files directly from.

Can you try downloading the .msi file in your Windows-default download folder (I guess it is the "Download" folder below your "Documents" folder), and running (installing) it from there, please?

If it doesn't help, I want to see the install log. I wrote previously "my installer trys to run a program", but actually it tries to run two separate programs during installation on 64 bit OS. I first need to know which of the two failed. It is appreciated if you can do the following (somewhat techie) steps and show me the last part of the generated log file.
  1. Open "Command Prompt" from Windows Start menu.
  2. Type "cd" command to go to the folder you downloaded the .msi file, e.g., "cd C:\Users\mike\Documents\Download" (without quotation signs.)
  3. Type the following command: "msiexec /i mobihandler-1-0-setup.msi /l log.txt" (again, without quotation signs. The letter after the second slash (/) is "el", not "one" nor "capital i".)

The above steps should create a text file of name log.txt in the same folder as the .msi file. Open it with a text editor (e.g., Notepad), and copy-n-paste the last part of the file. Th record of the error should be near the end of the file and should be obvious. I need lines from several lines before the first indication of the error and to the end of the file. It will be 10-20 lines.

Thank you.

-- Alissa
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote