View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
So this is INCREMENTAL, not a FULL update? I do not fully understand how update terminology is used here. How is an incremental backup different from a full backup?

Does this require a 5.0.0 image to be installed on the partition before updating it?

Confused...
Yep, I assume so. Otherwise it would have to contain the *entire* file system (=all files).

Code:
[root@kindle fonthack]# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root               340.2M    213.8M    109.3M  66% /
tmpfs                   124.9M     72.0K    124.8M   0% /dev
tmpfs                   124.9M         0    124.9M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                    32.0M    436.0K     31.6M   1% /var
/dev/mmcblk0p3           31.0M     10.8M     18.6M  37% /var/local
fsp                       3.2G    293.4M      2.9G   9% /mnt/us
/dev/loop/0               3.2G    293.4M      2.9G   9% /mnt/base-us
This is pretty much impossible given these sizes, and the update size.
  • FULL: every single file is contained. In other words, the full backup contains EVERYTHING. You could start from a completely empty situation -- a full backup will restore it all.
  • INCREMENTAL: Contains the *full* new contents of any changed file, compared to an existing state (let's call this "ground truth"). Comparable to extracting an archive onto an existing file system, replacing some files, but leaving others intact.
  • DIFFERENTIAL: Contains *differences* between a known previous state, and a known new state. Comparable to applying a "patch" command, replacing some files, but only if they were in the expected previous state.

From what I see, the 5.0.3 update has been a differential update (relying on a known 5.0.0 or 5.0.1 state, which is why it included two different installers). The 5.0.4 is an incremental update instead (just replacing everything that changed from 5.0.0 to 5.0.4).

I might be totally wrong (I did not take a look at 5.0.4 yet, actually, and am relying on eureka's and your information here!) -- still, that seams plausible to me.

As for the term "full", you are both right and wrong: an incremental update includes the complete new file for any file that has actually (ever) been changed since the "ground truth" (v5.0.0), but it also does not include any file available in "the ground truth" that has not been changed. This is what I understood the 5.0.4 package to be.

Last edited by ixtab; 03-02-2012 at 05:23 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote