View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Charles, I currently have 773 books on my Nook. I think the slowup might be with the PC I am connecting to? It's just a netbook with a slow processor and just 2gb ram.

The fourth solution you mention sounds like the best to me.

Here is another idea -- Maybe putting a warning in the settings screen would suffice. Simply tell the user that changing the cover size could make the syncing take up to 10 minutes or more, depending on the number of books and specs of the computer on which Calibre is being run? That would have done it for me. I was just a little impatient.

Quote:
What about the shelves? In your mind, would you still see shelves with the books sitting inside the shelf space, or would the books be sitting against the textured background but not "on" a shelf?
Both options work for me. I really don't have a strong preference for that either way. I may have a slight preference for the shelf simulation, because then it's more like a real library. But either works.

One thing to consider is perhaps decrease the space just a little between books so as to fit 1 more across? I currently have the thumbnails for the shelf view set to medium. The shelf shows 3 books across, but it seems like there is room for a fourth if you just decrease the spacing between books and between books and the shelf edge a little. OTOH, I'm sure you've already played around with a lot of configurations and perhaps 4 across with medium thumbnails looks too crowded. In which case the current spacing would be preferable. Just wondering.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote