View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I think a lot of what the OP describes as "intelligence amplification" is actually just the effects of reading a lot. Responding to one of the comments he says this:

Quote:
I was quite the book worm as a kid but at some point I had to give that up due to lack of time. My dedicated book reading dropped way way down. I still read and wrote a lot thanks to my computer use but that wasn't the same as sitting down with a good book. With this technique I now have at least a couple of hours every day (more on the weekend when I workout) where I can do some genuine reading.
So he used to read a lot, but then read less (because: internet!) and now reads more again because it a) fits alongside other tasks and b) is faster due to speed-up.

Good for him I say, but the benefits he cites - better writing, better focus, general feeling of being smarter (better informed can feel this way) - sound like the benefits of reading to me.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote