View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #19
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm on OS X, not XP or any other flavor of Windows.

Actually, Wolf, I work in wysiwyg mode to the maximum extent possible. I usually start by copying the bad html-coded source into a text editor like Text Wrangler, using search and replace (with nothing) to get rid of html code, using whatever utilities work to make the text easier to handle, and then copying and pasting the plain text back into a wysiwyg editor that handles all the code stuff in the background for me. So, no, I do not "need to get into the XML code and/or CSS code" except to delete it. This is how I have cleaned up some very rough books and made them a pleasure to read.

Wolf, I don't doubt that your code-oriented way is superior in all respects. I just don't have the geek knowledge of html, xml, css, etc. to follow your approach. Given my ignorance, the only approach I can follow is (1) to strip the code and (2) to edit the text in a wysiwyg editor that adds the code back to make the book look the way I want. I've had good results.

I mean, I'm not talking about complicated book formats. So far, I have reprocessed a few simple books like mysteries and thrillers, not academic treatises with diagrams, charts, mathematical formulas, or anything complicated like that.

Last edited by Jimbo724; 03-03-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote