View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #30
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Careful...If you move the VM to host hardware with a different processor family, some things -- like, say, the DRM used by Windows Media -- can break, and I would not be surprised if other activation/license related things could potentially break as well. Particularly if they sneak in another update or two before end-of-life.
Of course..I was staying on the same x86 processor family. I doubt if it would even work on any other. It's not an emulator. (But an Atari 800 emulator <will> run quite nicely under an XP virtual machine.)

I'm not worried about end-of-life upgrades. I'm at service pack 3 with the exFat update. What I am interested in is to be able to run all the software I have under windoze (all paid for) under Linux, without worrying about the XP activation feature being turned off (making XP uninstallable). That way, I can run all my paid for software as long as I can run a x86 computer, and use linux software for more modern requirements.

The only thing that won't work is Microsoft Virtual Machine 2004. (Can't run a virtual machine under a virtual machine, so I can't go all the way back to DOS 1.0 any more. I can live with that. I can go back to Windows 3.1 software, good enough.)

Mission accomplished...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote