View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #26
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin_2 View Post
Indeed it does. I was hoping a plugin might help to keep an overview of the various options, and their current settings. For a start, it would help to have a plugin (the quick-prefence plugin?) manage the settings currently hosted in the "Tweaks" section (author_sort setting, title_series_sorting, possibly title_sort_articles).
My initial response to this is that unfortunately anything you find in Tweaks is not going to be a candidate for "changing" in a plugin. I'm sure Kovid could explain why some things are in Tweaks rather than Preferences, but certainly one of the reasons I can think of is for Calibre-wide settings that will need a restart of the application to change. Very often the value is only checked at Calibre startup to initialise some behaviour, and hence changing the 'tweak' value and not restarting results in either no difference or inconsistent behaviour.

So at best in the plugin choosing from multiple values in a dropdown menu to change a tweak value would restart Calibre after making the change. However because of this restart requirement I would again ask the question what tweak values you feel the need to frequently change and why? It may be that if Kovid agrees with you the setting could be moved from Tweaks to Preferences - in which case a convenient way to swap values makes sense for the Quick Preferences plugin. Or it may be that there is a different way to approach what you are trying to achieve.

My overriding sense of what you are asking is not really for the ability to quickly change between tweak settings, but more for a GUI to change the values in Tweaks?

Quote:
It appears that the Tweaks only affect new book records, the values for Author_sort and Title_sort need to be updated manually. Since there is a function in the Bulk-Metadata Editor, there may be a routine a plugin in call to automatically update these columns. If there isn't, the scope of updating metadata is probably beyond what a plugin should do - I fully agree with your view on this.
Right, that is a great example of where you would not want to be switching between tweak values. You pick one and you stick with it, or else your library ends up a mish-mash. This happened to me when I first changed the author sort tweak having initially imported some books then deciding I preferred LN, FN. For that particular tweak there are "known remedies" published on this forum involving the Manage Authors or S&R dialogs.

And no, updating book metadata is certainly not in the scope of the "Quick Preferences" plugin. Although if someone comes up with some scenario where they want to right-click apply some change to book metadata using a different plugin that is certainly feasible.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote