View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #70
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post

Strange because I like them better than the Sherlock Holmes tales. These are much more realistic.

Same here. I'm just about half-way through "The Red Thumb Mark". The similarities to the Holmes canon seem to be obvious and numerous. My question is: at the time these stories were published, was Dr Thorndyke interpreted by readers (and perhaps by Arthur Conan Doyle?) as an instance of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", or more as a knock-off of Sherlock Holmes?

HarryT, thanks to you and the others who contributed to this effort to make Dr Thorndyke available!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote