View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #26
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
That's not what I said at all. When you're locked down to one vendor/supplier, you take what they hand you (even if it's modded firmware). If, over time, their product doesn't keep up with changes, then where are you? You have to change and make new choices anyway.
I must have misunderstood then. Yes, next time I'll buy a different brand if the current one disappoints me too much. Given that people seem to say the business model is to sell books, not readers - that's real bad news for the vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Modded firmware, which you've cited, is about choice, which is pretty much all I've been saying about PDF reading - it has to be about choice and flexibility.

Rooting my $129 tiny e-ink reader to accommodate PDF flow? No, thanks. Maybe for other purposes, but not that. I'd rather get the right tool for the job in the first place if I had to deal with PDFs.
No need to root - not even sure the concept is valid, and you can return them to original any time you want. Running different firmware, on the devices I mentioned, is as simple as putting new firmware on them by placing it on the SD card and booting in a different mode that loads the "upgrade". Straying to far OT though, sorry
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote