View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
The Kindle version seems to include the ability to get the journal on the i-pad. I assume the i-pad version also includes the ability to read it on the Kindle.
Actually, a warning - you can read the Kindle subscription of the WSJ on the Kindle app on iPad. And, by the way, you CANNOT read the WSJ on the Kindle for PC app. Which is weird.

But, more importantly, if you subscribe for digital access and use the WSJ app. on the iPad, you will not be able to read it on the Kindle.

I currently have two methods of access. The app. on the iPad and the Kindle subscriptions.

The iPad app benefits, obviously, from a bigger screen, which comes in handy for a newspaper. But the navigation design is not great - the kindle app. has a better index, allowing you to browse article titles by section. Whereas on the iPad you have to jump to each section's front page. Which would not be so bad, but the app. likes to hiccup - background download is iffy - and it freezes occasionally.

The ipad has some extra content (pics and graphs).

Of course, the ipad screen might bother you for long reading (it bothers me, for sure, I am a big eink fan) and the ipad is heavy, compared to a kindle.

The kindle subscription is delivered once a day - although, for a higher price, I believe you can get an evening update now as well (or was that on the SONY?). I have not tried that. But the ipad app. gives you a 'continuous update'. So you get articles as they become available. I guess it depends on how quickly you need your news (then again, if you really need fast news, then you should get the Bloomberg app. for iPad, especially for econ/finance).

The kindle version has spelling and formatting errors. Many. I have not noticed the same problem on the iPad app. I have actually compared some issues with spelling errors on the Kindle and could not find the same errors on the iPad. The most common problem lies in missed spaces. I see a couple of instances of that on most days.

Following holidays, the WSJ on Kindle is always late. Sometimes a whole day late.

The iPad version had full-screen ads that WILL piss you off. Especially the more graphic intensive ones that hang for a sec or two. Or crash the app. Occasionally, an ad will be bugged and crash the app. ever time at the same page, not allowing you to read an article. But, in all frankness, I have had that happen only twice in 18 months of daily reading - or so.

Pricing... well, if you can find some of those offers (like academic subscriptions) I think the iPad digital access would be cheaper. Not sure. I am not paying for it, so I am a bit lost on the pricing.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote