View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
tonbo0422
tonbo0422 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Total newbie: bought Kindle; freaked out, no backlight

Hi guys . . . nice to be here. You seem to be the go-to people when it comes to mobile devices . . . the question I have is almost too stupid to ask, but I'll go ahead anyway.

EBook technology seems to be in the dawn of the computer era: competing, incompatible technologies, proprietary sofware etc. etc.

I just have a simple problem, and I just can't think that there can't be a simple answer to it.

I like to read in bed. In fact it's pretty much the only place I read books, and that's pretty much every night. But I'm getting older, and my eyes ain't so good any more. Until now I've been using an Itty-Bitty book light, because anything brighter disturbs my wife.

All very well, but the booklight is annoying and cumbersome and the batteries keep burning out and are hard to find. So I thought: hey, let's buy an eReader! And of course, the most famous is the Kindle. It was at the right price for $79 so I went ahead and ordered one.

So far so good. Checked it out, started downloading a book, and then started looking for a button to brighten the screen. Well, you know the rest. There isn't one. What do I need an electronic eBook for if I can't read it in the dark?

All I want is some device that's small, light, that I can read books on -- I don't need to listen to music, surf the Web, or have it be in color -- I have a very nice laptop for that -- be able to download from a large source of books via wi-fi, be BACKLIT or frontlit or any-lit, that I can read in TOTAL DARKNESS, have a long battery life and not cost more than $100. Is that so much to ask?

Can anyone recommend such a device? There are so many of these boxes out there, I have no idea where to look.

Does any such device exist? Sorry to be such a dunderhead . . .
tonbo0422 is offline   Reply With Quote