View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Taya
Taya began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
The Overdrive catalog listing should tell you how many others are in the queue for that book. Also, it is possible to return e-books early, though I suspect few folks bother to do so.
Thank you! I didn't even see that option until you told me, now I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post

When I do have to wait on a title I really want to read as soon as possible, it generally takes about 1-3 weeks for the hold notification to arrive, even if there are 2 people ahead of me in line.

Technically as someone who also holds a Fraser Valley Regional Library card, I could go get one across the border for Whatcom County, who've got a reciprocal lending agreement and their own e-catalogue, though they don't have nearly as much stuff. It's different stuff, though, and one day I might try it.

2) There's a not-widely-broadcast trick that Nook users can do, where since the B&N-DRM copy-restriction scheme basically works like a glorified username/password combo, people who really trust each other can put their books on each others' Nooks.

What you do is you transfer your pre-downloaded e-book files directly to your aunt's Nook using the USB cable and then when you try to open it and it prompts you for authorization, either you or she put in her name and credit card # to unlock the book for reading on your Nook, and vice versa when she lets you share her books.
Thanks fellow Canadian That's exactly the info I needed. It helps to have an idea of how long I would wait for a library book I wanted.

I checked out Bellingham's library, there's a lot more selection it seems and fewer people waiting. I think that may be an option for me too.

As for sharing with my aunt, I'm sure what you describe will make more sense to me when I actually get the Nook. She lives in Toronto though, is what you're describing something we would have to do in person? I know that probably sounds dumb, but forgive me as I am completely new to this!

Thank you!
- Taya
Taya is offline   Reply With Quote