Thread: Kindle Privacy
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You raise some important points, Readingalout. But I doubt Amazon will listen. They are big and they are all-present, and they use this advantage to do what they think is right. They can always claim that you were not forced to purchase the Kindle device; if you don't agree with us, don't buy it.

I think traditionally Europeans are more concerned about privacy issues than US Americans. Check out this NYTimes article:

Quote:
More fundamentally, these two systems for dealing with data arise from a cultural divide over privacy itself. In broad terms, the United States looks at privacy largely as a consumer and an economic issue; in the rest of the developed world, it is regarded as a fundamental right.

In the United States, said Trevor Hughes, executive director of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, debates over the privacy of personal data generally occurs piecemeal, when a particular abuse causes harm. "In Europe, " Mr. Hughes said. "data is just protected because it is data - information about you."
As long as the Kindle is exclusive to the US, I don't think you'll ring any alarming bells.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote