View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is an LCD display, but not a "normal" one. It operates in two modes - as a conventional, backlit colour display OR in a direct-sunlight-readable, non-backlit, very low-power greyscale mode. This later would be excellent for a bookreader.

The main problems with the OLPC are that:

1. Most people can't buy them.
2. I don't know what, if any, book reading software exists for them.
Yea, it defines a new standard for LCD, certainly is not normal and it provides some of the power advantages of E-ink. Unfortunately the minute you turn the backlight on you lose the high resolution display. Hight resolution is even better than e-ink devices today hitting the 200 dpi making it more suitable for PDF documents and rivals the 8" device which is why I recommended it.

There is a reader for PDF and scanned images that ships with it, evince. It is not clear how many of the possible formats for evince are going to be available. Since it is running linux I think that, once, people have them it will not take long for more readers to show up. One of the major thrusts of the project is to provide ebooks and edocument capability.

For a short time anyone can buy them. You pay $400 and get a unit plus a
receipt for a $200 deduction that will be used to send a second unit to a child in a 3rd world country. Availability is November.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote