View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #38
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Technically, it's not a front light neither, because the light is inbetween the screen and the plastic layer, so it's inbetween the screen, rather than in front of it, or behind it.
Which makes both of us wrong.
I say back light, because the light is behind the touch screen.
*sigh* No actually not. The E-ink layer (the actual screen itself) is on the bottom, the touch screen layer is directly over the e-ink, and the light guide is on the top of the screen. So no the light is most definately not sandwiched between the e-ink and touch layer. Plus what GM said a post before me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Talking of which, why does it have a polarization filter built into?
Doesn't that reduce the amount of light hitting the screen?
(since the main function of a polarization filter is to block certain types of light, from certain angles).
The Paperwhite does not have a pol filter. The screen technology that depends on 2 pol filters is the back lit lcd screen. There is light behind it, which is non-directional - or more correctly contains light-waves in all kind of directions. The bottommost pol filter only lets the light through in one direction (e.g. only horizontal swinging). That directional light hits the lcd part. Depending on how much voltage is applied to each sub-pixel, the more the light gets turned around. For white it doesn't get turned - stays horizontal. For the black parts it gets twisted as far away from horizontal as possible - think of it as going vertical - or up and down. Somewhere in there is a colorfilter for the red, green, and blue subpixel. On the top of the screen is another pol filter that lets the white part through and blocks the black part. Anything inbetween gets partially through. The angles vary from one lcd to next.

Just checked one of my tvs - and the light is diagonally from bottom left to top right. On my notebook it is diagonally from top left to bottom right. On my phone it is even more complicated - one direction it is reddish, and orthogonal to it it is greenish.

On the paperwhite the light is uniform in every direction - checked with my sunglasses. (my sun glasses have a directional pol filter themselves)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote