View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #280
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
No, you can install a startup script in the upstart folder with all the other "normal" startup scripts. Beware that a broken script can brick your kindle because it can prevent critical startup scripts from running. But you can always debrick with simple debricking, so not as big a problem as when we were first learning about upstart scripts on 5.0.0 and you needed to use the serial port to debrick.
OK, you are succeeding in confusing me even more...

I will rephrase my question: Do I need this (NiLuJe's) "data.tar.gz" each time that I want to run a startup script (where the startup script is in a "runme.sh" file on the USB drive - the USB drive I get when I plug the Kindle into my Windows PC), or only the first time?

UPDATE:

I got a little impatient and thought that I might as well experiment a little. This is what I found thus far.

I took the "RUNME.sh" from the first post of this thread. (It shows only a message on some nice looking pattern.)

With (NiLuJe's) "data.tar.gz" (and "RUNME.sh" renamed to "runme.sh") I could only get the script to run by doing the full jailbreak each time (restarting into diags mode etc.). Just a normal restart did not run the script.

I then took the "data.tar.gz" from the first post and added "B023" to the K4 mini choice in the file. (Used 7-zip.) I put this modified "data.tar.gz" and the "RUNME.sh" on the USB file and restarted twice. The "data.tar.gz" disappeared but the "RUNME.sh" did not run. (I might have done something wrong, but I don't think so...)

I then put the "data.tar.gz" back on the USB file again and added "ENABLE_DIAGS" and restarted into diags mode. Like the Jailbreak, I selected restart first and then disable diags and exit. During the restart it ran the script.

Now during a normal restart it runs the script also (after removing the "RUNME.done" first). BUT the strange thing is it seems to run it twice. It displays the message as the restart process starts and then again half way through the progress bar. Is this normal or did all my playing add the instruction to run twice?

Last edited by JNT; 11-30-2012 at 03:04 AM.
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote