View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
Compounded with extremely tight line spacing ("leading") that makes it difficult for the eye to scan the line without slipping up or down a line.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. As a writer, I bristle at the suggestion that I alter my writing style to accomodate a medium. People who can read and comprehend don't want a bunch of bite-sized sentences.

I think that eBook reading software should help us and make it easier to read these eBooks. I'd like to see a piece of software with a "roaming highlight" line that guides our eyes. The speed can be set to taste. Or, how about the autoscroll where the line we're reading magnifies as it passes our highlight line? Or, how about when we page-down there is a line that briefly indicates where we left off instead of making us scan the page for our last spot?

Writing in a new style to accomodate a new medium is unfathomable. What if they make books we can read underwater (for whatever reason, Global Warming or something), should writers add more watery prose to their books to facilitate better comprehension? Should writers write in that wavy font to accomodate the wavy water? If we start reading books in outer space, should writers talk more about stars? It's silly to blame the inadequacies of the reader or software on the writer.
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote