View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Brooks View Post
Every book is going to have good and bad reviews. Although bad reviews don't help, a book with only five 5-Star reviews is less likely to get my attention than a book with 45 mixed reviews.
I wouldn't mind good or bad reviews.
Often, for example on IMDB, my personal taste is quite the opposite of the main stream judgment.

But what really did annoy me: I didn't know the book. In the past, I simply would have bought it because of the description.
But, given the increasing number of self published books, one can't rely on the quality measures of the past anymore. In the past, one could assume: The author found a publisher, he did have an editor = the book should have some kind of quality to it. Now, you can't rely on it anymore.
So I made the mistake, to start reading the reviews.

But: There haven't been "good or bad" reviews. Most of them simply haven't been reviews at all, but statements about price and such.
And not even about the price for this specific book.
But general statements, why one should pay for books anyway. Or why eBooks aren't for free. Or why a book, that's already one year old, still should be paid for and such.
Not helpful at all, nothing of a "review" about it.
And I simply came to despise the attitude behind most of those statements.

So, to me it's not about "good or bad" review.
It's about: Why do so many people bother to give nonsense statements about "evil corporates", "greedy Google" and things like that...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote