View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Questions about CSS and best practices

OK, I'm newish to creating epubs and scanning a few rare books I own for personal use since there is no other way to get them on my reader. I can't upload them as they are under copyright still.

My CSS skills are kind of limited and I'm getting really confused about how best to set up my ebooks, though I'm trying to keep it fairly simple.

For instance, what is the best way to set up font size?

I've seen it done with percent or ems or "small, medium, large, etc..." and I'm wondering what really is the best way to handle it? Or does it not matter as long as the ebook works and validates?

Also, what is the best way to set up spacing for things like chapter titles, subtitles, numbers and the like? Is it better to use percent, ems or px?

I could really use a guide on what is best used where!

And is it better to use <div> instead of <blockquote> or is either OK when you want to quote a block of text?

If anyone knows a website or book that covers this kind of stuff, feel free to provide a link, thanks!

P.S. I have several e-reading devices, Sony PRS-950, PRS-350, Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0, so ideally, I want solutions that will adapt well to different screen sizes and resolutions.

Last edited by graycyn; 03-14-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added P.S.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote