View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
How to Set-Up Pseudo-Parental Control on Kobo Devices?

Okay...so I haven't really planned the parental control thing very well...

I've been purchasing e-books on my Kobo account for a few years now. About a year and a half ago when I got my new Vox, I started buying kids books in my own library for my kids (some interactive Vox-only books, and some regular books). I would let my kids borrow my Kobo Wi-Fi or Vox to read the book, but then they'd give it back to me.

My son is almost 10 years old and loves to read. I've since given him my old Vox (since I now have a Samsung tablet and don't really use my Vox anymore), but my Kobo library has some, shall we say, inappropriate books and titles that should be removed from the device. I don't want to post this question on the Vox forum, because my son also sometimes reads on my Kobo Wifi, so I need to consider both.

I have had several thoughts and questions on this topic, but maybe someone that has been through this can provide some insight?

1. I can create a separate account for my son. Sure, this is easiest - and I may do this, but it doesn't allow us to share devices (still want to share the Kobo Wifi). Problem could be solved if I gave him both devices, but can I transfer some of his old books from my account to his account? This is the biggest obstacle here...

2. I can remove age-inappropriate books/covers from my Kobo library on the website. Can I archive them or put them in a spot that would exclude them from the automatic library update?

3. Is there a way to restrict the library update on the Vox without turning the WiFi?

4. Can I hide books in my library on a certain device?

5. Can I password protect store purchases via the device using WiFi (since my credit card is connected on my account)?

Looking forward to any ideas you can share! Thanks!

Last edited by pokee; 04-12-2013 at 04:43 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote