View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
To me kindle is ok at the moment, it's not light, but for 9.7 inch screen, that's a cost to pay for E-Ink's benefits, and it seems it's one of the very few choices now for A4 size document reading. But also I agree Kindle is definitely not an ideal E-Ink device yet, Amazon is mainly sell it as a chanel for its own business, it's NOT purposed as an ideal reading device with much fun, most of the fun is coming from E-Ink, rather Kindle itself.

To me E-Ink is the only choice at the moment to easy eyes while I have many things to read, but Kindle or similiar E-Ink readers just provide a very partial solution to this, there must be much more features to provide to promote the pleasure and efficiency of reading on them, otherwise it is nothing more interesting than reading on a real book. On a paper book, there is no any problem of "content rendering", I can freely annotate with pen, and flip papers quickly, also I can open many books to compare or reference at the same time, these are part of fun of reading, but on Kindle I can't. To me, the worsest thing on Kindle DX is it even not allow user inputs text when make bookmark in PDF, so that in fact you can't even create an index to make quick jump between section (number of page is absolutely useless for this), this makes reading experience is even WORSE on the device that is dedicated for reading. What's more, now we are not only reading a pile of books each day, we are reading more on internet and there are many information is not composed as a book. So the awkward internet experience on Kindle also doesn't help much. It seems the struggles these devices are making are all about trying to reinvent programs that exist and are already so mature for long time on any laptop.

So to me, the ideal way of reading on E-Ink is not achived yet by these devices, and I believe there are still big space for a better device, and I do hope Kindle DX can update its software quickly. Also I hope vendors like Plastic Logic, Pixel Qi, and etc can really bring us some new choices in the coming year. Anyway, Kindle or similiar devices do boosted the usage of E-Ink and already liberate people from paper books reading to a degree, E-Ink is still at its early stage. But I always believe the best experience of e-reading is reading on a full fledged mobile computing device with particular display technology, so let's see if this can happen soon in the near future.

Last edited by whitepaper; 07-05-2009 at 11:08 PM.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote