View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #1279
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
I use the Page Count plugin in Calibre to collect info on word and page counts. Will this app be able to read that from Calibre automatically like it does other metadata?
Even if it could, I would prefer that it did not. Why? Because Calibre is Calibre, and Marvin is Marvin. Two completely different environments, and two completely different reading/library management devices.

The only objective value, of course, is word count. And you can let Marvin calculate the word count for any book (and display it in Library folders), on the meta-tag editor screen.

The concept of "pages", on electronic devices, is completely elusive, anyway, and does not really make sense. A "page" in Calibre may be, and very likely will be, completely different from a "page" in Marvin. (My main working monitor is a 30-inch Dell, and if I maximize the Calibre window there, my "page" in Calibre will likely contain four times as much text as most other people's "Calibre page".)

In fact, a "page" in Marvin, and another "page" in Marvin, may be completely different, too, for the same book -- depending on what font you prefer to use for reading in Marvin, and what size of that particular font. There are so many variables to this, that the concept of pages as such, does not really make sense for e-books.

That is why I'm actually fine with Marvin only giving us an overall percentage of progress as we're reading through a book. Because that value is objective, unbiased. If you're 50% through a book, then that's where you are -- regardless of your font preference, font size preference, Marvin or Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
I really love a grid view for book covers. Will that be possible in the future?
Yes, Kris confirmed only very recently in this thread that there will be alternative ways of displaying Library shelves in a future Marvin release.