Thread: File Names
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The books should have the information in the appropriate places when the conversion to LRF format takes place, but not all of them have that in the proper place. The ebook files which aren't properly created that way will display on the Reader by the filename only. So what I do when I download any files is to rename them with author's last name followed by two hyphens and then the book's title.

Tey -- The Franchise Affair for example.

Thus, if the information is properly entered when the conversion is made, the book will display by title or author, depending on your sort method. But if the information isn't in the proper place inside the file, it will still display in a meaningful easy to find (for me, anyway) manner.

For people creating the LRF files, I would urge you to do whatever Calibre does and enter the proper sort information with author's last name, first name. It bothers me when the Reader sorts by Author and a third of the books by a single author will sort under W (for example): Wilkie Collins another third will sort under C: Collins, Wilkie, and the final third will display with no author shown because none was entered properly in the conversion but thanks to my renaming of the files they will display as Collins -- [title].

It's a mess, but I don't complain because of all this great library of wonderful reading material that others are creating and that I am downloading for free.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote