View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Payment methods for WHSmith.co.uk

You probably all know this already, but - for some stupefyingly idiotic reason - it appears that the WHSmith.co.uk ebook website (supplied by Overdrive) only accepts Visa and Mastercard as payment methods.

Given that I live in the UK, have just paid off and cancelled my credit cards, and don't want any more, the fact that they don't offer debit card payment options (e.g. Switch/Maestro) is incredibly annoying.

Moreover, it's idiotic from a business point of view, too, because Waterstones (surely Smiths' biggest potential High Street rival for ebook sales) allow both credit card and debit card payments for their selection of ebooks.

The upshot of this is that I actually want to buy 3 of my favourite books (in Ebook form) from WH Smith, but can't.

The gift certificates for buying ebooks can only be bought with a Visa or Mastercard, too, so there's no workaround.

Consider yourselves warned! I wasted almost an hour downloading Reader, installing it, authenticating it and wrestling with the WH Smith website before realising I couldn't actually pay for my selections!
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote