View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Export Category Editor data

Is there any way to export the data displayed in the Category Editor (particularly tag and series)?

I've been finding things like "brother" and "sister" are each used once as tags but there's 40 books with "siblings". With almost 4k tags in my library, I've been trying to pare things down to more manageable sizes. But things like the example I used don't stick out when they're in one looong list of tags like they are in the Category Editor inside Calibre.

Currently the method I'm using is that I exported the tags using "calibredb catalog tags.csv --fields tags", deduped and fiddled with the list in Excel until I got a master list of tags, then imported them into Access and have been separating them out into themed tables and noting ones that can be merged or deleted. But I keep having to go back to Calibre to check the counts on tags to find out which tag gets kept and which gets pruned and being tethered to my library (which resides on my home NAS) means I can't easily use all the free time I have while away from home (those 3 hour layovers at LAX suck).

So, before I spend too much more useful free time flipping back and forth between access and calibre, I figured I'd see if it's possible to somehow get the data calibre shows outside of Calibre because if I didn't, I'd end up finding out there's some super simple and obvious way to do it that I overlooked after I've spent 100 hours doing it the hard way
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote