View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #117
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If they continued the surveillance in my home, to verify that I wasn't "misusing" my purchases, I'd be greatly bothered.

Securing their property is fine. What I don't like is when sellers try to keep securing it after purchase.

Even if it's still "their property"... rental cars don't have cameras that watch you drive, nor do they track exactly where the car's driven. They don't tell you what kind of garage you can park in. They don't tell you which roads you may or may not drive on. You're required to keep the vehicle in good condition and return it promptly; how you use it, within those boundaries, is up to you.

A "leased" car that you keep forever, but is not permitted to be driven on freeways on the grounds that "it might get into an accident," would be soundly rejected as a ridiculous purchase.
With a car they tell you how fast you can drive, they tell you you can't run red lights. They even limited my car's top speed to 250km, even though the engine is well capable of going faster. Apple restricts you to using only apps from their store unless you jailbreak your device.

And your leased-car contract may well forbid you to drive off-road or on non-paved roads.

You have to register your car, motor cycle, and your guns (for those among you who have any). And police will control your use of these items and trace them back to you when something happens.

Stores' supervision of you doesn't stop after you bought the item. You will still be on camera until you step outside and you will still have to walk through the "security tag detector" with your items after you paid for them.

These, like watermarks, are minor irritations we all put up with because we know, that they are not directed against us personally, but necessary because we know that not everybody is honest. It is in the interest of the honest customers that the cheaters get caught so that prices can stay low.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote