View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #25
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
The Savage Detectives (and 2666) are among my favorite novels ever. I am not going to give my opinion of them because it would seem a gross exageration. I just loved them so much. I haven't read other books by Bolaņo, but I plan to read all of them. The guy is a master. So sad he died when he was producing his best work.

Lately I haven't been reading as much as usual. Since my son was born (he is 2 now) I am always tired and find very little time for myself. Right now I prefer novels with strong plots, as they are more likely to keep me awake (just finished Sharpe's Tiger by Bernand Cornwell and loved it). I am currently reading Blood Meridian and, while I am enjoying it, I am reading it very slowly because it requires of all of my concentration (English is not my first language, as you can guess by my poor writing). Several years ago I read The Road in a couple of days and was impressed by the intensity and simplicity of its style. Blood Meridian? I've been reading it for four weeks and I am still not done. I feel like I am wasting a great book.

Anyway, the last great author I discovered is probably Murakami. Loved Kafka on the Shore, Sputnik Sweetheart, his short stories, and, above all else, Norwegian Wood. It's one of the most humane, intense, and moving love stories I've ever read.
Perhaps I should give Bolaņo another try - I expected to like him, perhaps my head was just not in the right place.

Strange about Blood Meridian, I am a native English speaker and I seem to be reading it very slowly too, (and there is nothing wrong with your English that I can see!). It's not a criticism but I wonder whether it is to do with the style of narration and the "difficulty" of forming representations of what is being read.

Also agree about Murakami - haven't read anything bad by him, (but I could have lived my life quite happily without read "What I think about when...").
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote