Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #98
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Some readers (like myself) love that Martin does this. People are fragile bags of bone and water, and the most important character can suffer a sudden, unglamorous death. It's brutal and realistic, and it adds a level of tension unmatched by most other books. Martin can elevate a reader's pulse as few authors can, because he has served notice that anyone can die without warning.

I remember the first time I read these books. I thought, "Oh my God! There's a massive void in the story's center. WTF!" Have no fear: other characters are waiting in the wings, ready to take center stage. They'll be fully developed and (eventually) appear to be essential and irreplacable. Muahahaha. They're not. Anyone can be killed, just like real life, and the world moves on without them.
That is also for me the thing that makes the book so good. And the books are not about specific people and I think it is a mistake to try to read them that way.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote