View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
An Index is particular tough in ePub as it is page oriented which does not lend itself to href entries.
I don't see this, having a link to any arbitrary point of the text is possible and easy. The only tricky part is the wording, instead of "term, 27, 32" you'd have something like "term, here, here", or "term, 1, 2", but the links would work fine.

Quote:
Href to a point in a web page scrolls to the exact location which is placed at the top of the page. ePub does not way the page rearranged in such a fashion
There's no reason why the ePub cannot be displayed with the linked-to word on top of the screen, regardless of which "ADE page" it falls in. The readers I have used don't do this exactly, they show the href target somewhere in the screen, not necessarily on top (as if they paginate the whole file first, and then show the appropriate "page"), but this is also how paper books work (except the Encyclopędia Britannica, where the index also points to the column and the top/middle/bottom section). Still, this has nothing to do of which "page number" is used by the reader, I'm only referring to the page the user sees, i.e., the screen.

Quote:
ADE has virtual pages when are typically larger than screen pages and if used the index may link to a page that doesn't even have the text on the screen.
The thing is you cannot blindly translate a paper index to an ebook index. If the paper index says "term, 27, 30", you have first to locate the "term" in pages 27 and 30, add anchors in the appropriate places in the ebook text, and then make the index with links to these anchors, not to "page 27 and 30".

However, when searching is possible (and it should always be with ebooks), the utility of an index is greatly reduced.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote