View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's definitely not soppy. While it does tell his story, it also tells about others around him. It's not sappy or one sided. You do get a real feel for how things were for him and others. Just ask others who have read it.

You do learn a lot of what happened to POWs of the Japanese. It's not at all like you think it is.
Thanks John (hope I got your name right!), and in fairness perhaps I should have made my points in the nomination thread - and as Bookworm says, I also like the idea and the spirit of a book club that induces me to consider books that I wouldn't otherwise read - I would have never read Bleak House had it not been for the Club, I suffered through it, and in the end I was quite pleased I had done it. But above all reading should be about enjoyment, and call me biased, but my bet is I will really dislike it (and I am not just going by a whim, as I did not like the prose from what I could gather from "looking inside" on amazon and what I had read about "Seabiscuit" in a source I trust highly). I promise you that if it had been a freebie, I would have definitely tried it, but at this stage I cannot find it in me to fork out £11 for it (yes, I am a cheapo).

I will wait with interest for the discussion thread, though!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote