View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It also seemed to keep a uniform space between the periods, never stretching that space wider for justified margins, which was what I wanted.
  is a non-breaking space, which is good for your need, but as far as I know, it's nowhere specified that it should not stretch with justification. That is indeed the case with Adobe-based readers (and maybe others), but do not rely too much on that (the equivalent markup in LaTeX, which is "~", is allowed to stretch, for instance).

Quote:
And once converted to mobi the same situation happens, wider spaces for justifying the margins for both quotes and ellipses.
Conversion can change everything. The target format may support a different set of features, and the conversion software may introduce all kinds of changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
<span class="olddot">.&nbsp;.&nbsp;.</span>

.olddot {display: block; letter-spacing: 6pt; }
"letter-spacing" and "inline-block" are not included in the required CSS subset of ePub 2.1, though. But that might work in readers that support them. You could even define a new entity, say &oldhellip;, for easier usage, but I'm afraid custom entity definition (which requires online or embedded DCD files) is not much tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Is &thinsp; accepted by all readers?
The font is the main problem here. I know it works fine with my Orizon, and probably all later Bookeen readers.

But if you want a thin non-breaking space, you have to use &# 8239; (without the space), which is more likely to be missing from the font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote