View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #42
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well it is unlikely to work on other readers anyway, as you are depending on support for embedded fonts and for lots of special characters.

expect to see lots of text appearing as ????? on less functional e-readers or lots of "cant show this character" icons .A version for Kindle is probably a non-starter for the same reasons.

but the good news is that all the ( non-apple) e-readers I know off can display PDF so you could have stopped at the "working PDF" stage & be well into your next project already
Yeah, that's true, I suppose if I really wanted to be sure that it works cross-platform (or cross-reader) that I could just include the PDF version. In that regard, this work is actually in two parts -- the original is in "modern" English, which I would have no problem displaying in epub format, and then the same, entire text transliterated into late-Middle English (which I shared here).

In that regard, is there a recommended way for including both things in one epub, i.e. to have the main/modern text, and then "embed" (somehow) the PDF version into that? I suppose one would just create a link in the epub to the PDF file? Or is there a better way?

I still think it would be soooooo nice to have this epub version of that "olde" version, even though I only know for sure that it works okay in iBooks on the iPad (since I can't test it anywhere else). Is it terribly wrong to design an epub specifically for just one platform? Like, I could include a note that the work is "oPtimized for iBooks" (or something), and at that particular "olde" section state that "the following pages may not display correctly in readers other than iBooks" (or whatever).

Is that such a terrible thing to do?
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote