View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #46
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Well, there are very very large parts of the world where Socratic thinking doesn't play a big role in education or in development whatsoever. The USA still places a significantly greater emphasis on logical reasoning and questioning than do many other countries, even if it, as you say (and I may agree, though I've no hard numbers available), has atrophied.
yeah, that is the true sad part. And you are right to point out societies other than the US do not place a high value on independent thought or questioning the PTB. Then again one also needs to appreciate the point where constant questioning actually impedes learning or the topic under discussion. It all melds together...

Here in the US it really is sad how few people value knowledge...and for most college (as in University level), for the first 2-yrs or so, has become an extended High School rather than a place of advanced learning. So much time is wasted on teaching freshmen the basics of learning which they should have learned before getting there, that a standard degree should really be a 5-6 yr program or at least an 11-month/3-semester school year.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote