View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I vaguely remember a few years ago that Kindle e-readers had TTS, but introduced support for a flag inside ebooks that allowed publishers to disable TTS for it (so as not to compete with their lucrative audio books). I remember a lot of griping at the time, but I don't know how things ended up because I've never owned a Kindle e-reader. Do they still have this feature enforced in Kindle ereaders and apps, and do publishers still turn TTS off on ebooks?
Yep, I run into it all the time. I listen to a lot of books on my daily commute. I have a Kindle Keyboard (3rd gen Kindle) and love that I can use TTS to listen to the book in my car and then pick up *reading* right where the TTS left off and vice versa. If you look at any kindle-edition of a book on Amazon's website there's a set of specs for the book and one of them is Text-To-Speech Enabled: Yes/No. I buy a lot of books through Amazon and if TTS is disabled I convert the book and strip that block off. I'm buying the book, let me do what I want with it.

My Kindle's screen has been doign some strange things lately and is well outside the warranty period so I've started thinking about what I'll get as a replacement, but it's hard to find something new that's e-Ink with TTS support.

Last edited by Shadowplay; 05-15-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote