View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Free (K) Pre-Order: All That I Am by Anna Funder !!

Had to use the exclamation marks...this was one of my personal top-reads of 2012 - I'm stunned it's available as a free pre-order from HarperCollins (Amazon):

All That I Am

Award-winning author Anna Funder delivers an affecting and beautifully evocative debut novel about a group of young German exiles who risk their lives to awaken the world to the terrifying threat of Hitler and Nazi Germany. Based on real-life events and people, All That I Am brings to light the heroic, tragic, and true story of a small group of left-wing German social activists who mounted a fierce and cunning resistance from their perilous London exile, in a novel that fans of Suite Francaise, The Piano Teacher, and Atonement will find irresistible and unforgettable.

Booklist:
A literary work as suspenseful as the best thrillers, Funder’s extraordinary first novel is an unflinching portrait of courage in devastating circumstances. The tale unfolds through the dual reminiscences of Ruth Becker, an elderly resident of Sydney in 2001, and Ernst Toller, eminent playwright and former leader of the short-lived Bavarian Republic. Both belonged to a group of left-wing German activists who were forced into exile in London after Hitler came to power, and who risked everything to alert the world—especially Britain, whose deliberate blindness grows increasingly infuriating in the novel—to the danger the Nazis posed. Settled into New York’s Mayflower Hotel in 1939, Toller reworks his autobiography to make the woman who was its emotional heart live once again. Dora Fabian was Ruth’s cousin and Toller’s lover, and the passionate intensity that defines her political and personal existence blazes through these pages. The moral dilemmas affecting Funder’s characters, all based on historical figures, are as strongly evoked as the repressive environment they inhabit and are brave enough to stand against.

Last edited by mitford13; 02-18-2013 at 02:05 PM.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote