View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So sports fans, I was going to toss out The Makioka Sisters by my favorite Japanese author Junchiro Tanizaki, and considered his masterpiece. I actually considered this as my pick for November, but thought it might be a bit too long. Seeing how my actual pick struck out I am glad I did not, and won't nominate The Makioka Sisters now.

Since it may be past the deadline before I can get this done I will now nominate two books:

Twenty-Six and One and Other Stories by Maxim Gorky Inkmesh

I consider these three short stories some of Gorky's best work.

My second nomination is The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis. Unfortunately this does not appear to be available is and e-book. It sucks that copyright keeps this from appearing on PG, yet no publisher has made it available as an e-book.

Quote:
Hailed as a masterpiece by critics worldwide, "The Last Temptation of Christ" is a monumental reinterpretation of the Gospels by one of the giants of modern literature. Nikos Kazantzakis, renowned author of "Zorba the Greek, " brilliantly fleshes out the story of Christ's Passion, giving it a dynamic spiritual freshness. Kazantzakis's Jesus is gloriously divine, yet earthy and human, as he travels among peasants and is tempted by their comfortable life. Provocatively illuminating ever dimension of the Gospels, "The Last Temptation of Christ" is an exhilarating modern classic.
(from Amazon)

My final vote will be used to third fantasyfan's nomination. I plan to read the collection Beasts, Super-Beasts sooner or later, sooner rather than later if it is the club selection, but my third applies to fantasyfan's nomination as she phrased it.