View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #26
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Dude, the Sony Readers are in Walmart, Target, Borders, and other shops. They are even in a vending machine at the mall across the street from my apartment. It was my interest in the Sony reader that brought me to MR, not the other way around. The Kobo is now getting displayed prominently in Borders; I was able to sell my used Kobo just this afternoon because of the name recognition that this placement generated. I think Sony should just release and update 505 model with better PDF support, dictionary support, and, perhaps, a wireless connection (they could use an on-screen keyboard like the pocket books use for searching the store and entering your credentials). With the pearl screen at the right price, this could be a killer product, especially with Sony's name behind it.

Luqman
Dude, doesn't matter a hill of beans. Ask any average human about ereaders and of the 10% who are even aware they exist in the first place, 90% of those will understand words like Kindle and iPad. Sony has a presence in retail stores, and that does help to raise awareness. But grab a Sony and head out to the general public and count how many people ask you if that's a Kindle. Speaks volumes. Sony is dying a slow death in the ereader market through lack of aggressive marketing and pricing. Mark my words, within 2 years, Sony will have exited this market entirely. Amazon will drive them totally away not through a superior product, but through sheer marketing and pricing. Within 3 to 5 years, Apple will completely dominate the high-end reader market, and Amazon will be the only player worth mentioning in the lower-end eInk market. There will virtually be no one else.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote